The teachers and staff of the Eagle River Optional Program believe that learning is best accomplished in a holistic and child-centered environment. This program considers and fosters the intellectual, emotional, social and physical developmental needs of each child. Equal emphasis is placed on creative, academic and personal growth.
We use multi-age groups, theme-based curriculum and portfolio grading to support learning in a non-competitive, community-minded environment. Independence, goal-setting and personal interests are all cultivated through our program.
Our strong parent base and a "school within a school" setting provide a stable, close-knit community of learners.
Discipline is consistent within our educational philosophy and goals, therefore children are taught and encouraged to learn self-discipline, responsibility, conflict resolution and group decision making.
Goals of the Optional Program
- To provide a program with high standards of academic competence, and rich experiences in the creative arts.
- To encourage children to think independently, act responsibly, become self-motivated, and to think of learning as a life-long process.
- To create a learning environment that fosters positive self-image.
- To encourage children to show concern for others and to value the opinions of others in solving problems, thus promoting the understanding of democratic processes.
- To encourage learning experiences which will cultivate critical and analytical skills.
- To provide a school experience in which children may learn at their own rate and stage of development and in learning styles best suited to them.
- To enable children to make increasingly more responsible learning and time management decisions.
- To encourage children to know, utilize and care for their community.
- To promote a team process in which family, staff and students work together so that school becomes an integral part of living.
- To nourish natural curiosity and love of learning in each child.